Editor's Note: This article was written and submitted by Chris Boyle.
At last week’s North Bellmore Board of Education meeting, Arnold Goldstein addressed parental concerns over the fact that the carbon monoxide alarm had gone off at Newbridge Road School on Nov. 9 at 1:20 p.m.
Goldstein outlined the cause, the actions taken by the District to ensure the safety of students, and what steps are being taken to make sure such an occurrence doesn’t happen again.Like Bellmore Patch on Facebook by clicking here.
“The building was immediately evacuated,” Goldstein said. “The students stayed out in the parking lot until he fire department had checked all the rooms and given us the okay, which took within an hour and a half. I was on the scene the entire time.”
“It turned out that there was a small carbon monoxide leak in boiler room, and fortunately the boiler turns off automatically when this occurs,” he added. “The cause of the problem has been corrected.”
Goldstein said that two students needed to be treated with oxygen on the scene and sent home, but were otherwise fine. He also pointed out that the authorities not only checked the Newbridge Road building and deemed it safe, but the other buildings in the District as well.
The leak was attributed to damper on the boiler temporarily sticking in the closed position. The issue has since been addressed, Goldstein said.MORE TOP NEWS
Become a blogger today!
Get started now