At 8:30 a.m. Monday, the Bellmore Fire Department was called to a gas leak with fire on Barbara Road east of Bellmore Avenue.
Contractors replacing the water main on that block accidentally cut the gas line going from the main to a home. The heat from cutting equipment ignited the leaking gas. While en route, Chief of Department Daniel Holl requested "650" Fire Dispatching to notify National Grid of the situation and that they respond forthwith.
Fire Fighters from first due Bellmore Engine 604 (acting 602) connected to a hydrant and lay several hundred feet of 5" feeder hose down the block towards the fire.
Crews from Bellmore Engines 601, 603 and Heavy Rescue 607 assisted in stretching hose lines to protect the adjacent homes. A search of nearby homes was made by fire fighters equipped with gas meters, that can detect minute amounts of gas.
With the gas main shut off, the remaining gas harmlessly burned off. There was no leaking of gas into homes on the block.
Workers from National Grid checked all the homes on the block to relight any pilot lights before gas was turned back on. It is important to remember that if you smell gas to leave the area immediately and notify the fire department.
Editor's Note: This story and photos were submitted by Vincent Scaduto of the Bellmore Fire Department.