Bellmore has a lot of good people ready to help its residents in case of an emergency. All have some sort of history and it is good to know how they all were organized. Having fire and emergency protection in a town or city is so important because not only can people die but also a lot of damage can be done. The trained professionals that risk their lives for all of us are brave, ambitious and heroes to us all.
Smithville South Hook, Ladder and Engine Company in North Bellmore were established in 1908 and originally had thirteen men. Could you believe they started out with a drawn fire wagon! They continued to use the wagon until 1922 when they upgraded to a Ford Chassis chemical truck. At this time the area was called Smithville, which later changed to Smithville South. There was already a town upstate that had the same name so in order for Smithville to have its own post office it added south to its name. Even though it was called Bellmore after the LIRR station was built the fire department kept its name.
In the years to come the department went through a number of changes such as the addition of Engine Company No. 2, the Newbridge Road property and another name change in 1956 to North Bellmore Engine and Rescue Company No. 2. At this point the firefighters were being trained in first aid procedures as well. There was also a monument built in 1969 on the property that was a salute to all the men in the company from the past and the present.
The Bellmore Fire Department was originally organized in 1897. It started with the Advance Hook, Ladder and Engine Company #1 and was joined with Hose Company #1 in 1922 and the Engine Company #2 in 1925. Just eight years ago the West Engine Company #3 was added bringing about 100 volunteers to Bellmore's safety. While looking on an old map of 1914 I found this area was called Frederick Park. It is not surprising that Bellmore went through a series of name changes for its sections. With new settlers comes new and upgraded neighborhoods.
During the 1800s it operated on the corner of Petite and Bedford Avenue and since then has moved just a short distance down the block. The Engine Companies are spread out among Bellmore so the men and women on duty can get to calls faster. Within the fire district are also specialized units such as the Hazardous Material Operations, Technical Rescue Team and the EMS. It also has its own dispatching facility that is open 24 hours all year long. Its good to know that there are people out there always ready to save lives, tame a fire and continue to be heroes.