A look at what's happening around the Bellmore and Merrick areas on this Monday.
- The Bellmore Lions Club will be hosting its annual Labor Day Flea Market Monday at the Bellmore Long Island Rail Road Station. The event will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on parking lot B1, which is across the street from Arby's.Click here for more.
- The North Merrick Library hosted a joint meeting of the North Bellmore and North and Central Merrick Civic Associations to discuss an ongoing concern of both communities: the Citgo Gas Station on the corner of Bellmore and Park Avenue. Click here for more on this story.
- On Aug. 24, a video was posted on the Calhoun High School choir's YouTube Channel from a performance in 1967. The choir was lead by Director S. Talbot Thayer, and the students performed "Heilig" by Felix Mendelssohn. Click here for more information and for the video itself.
- In the latest Daily Stache blog post, Michael Ganci talks about the frustrations of being a Met fan, and he weighed in on who he thinks should stay, and who he thinks should go for the 2013 season. Click here to read and make sure to comment and share your opinions as well.
- Today is Labor Day! According to Forbes, the first U.S. Labor Day was celebrated on Tuesday, Sept. 5, 1882, in New York City, planned by the Central Labor Union. The Labor Day parade of about 10,000 workers took unpaid leave and marched from City Hall past Union Square uptown to 42nd street and ended in Wendel’s Elm Park at 92nd Street and 9th Avenue for a concert, speeches and picnic.
Become a blogger today!
Get started now