When a child is seen by a chiropractor, they will be given a thorough check. We want to make sure that your child begins life with the best possible potential.
Whether your child presents with symptoms or just for a check-up, a thorough history of the birth and labor process is always taken. This is followed by a thorough physical examination appropriate for their age. We want to know how your child is developing. Is their brain communicating with the rest of their body so that they are developing appropriately?
The 10 most common reasons why parents take their children to see a chiropractor are:
1. To maximize and increase their child’s brain and nerve development.
2. To enhance their child’s overall wellbeing.
3. To strengthen immunity and reduce the incidence of colds, earaches, and general illness.
4. To help with colic/irritable bowel syndrome.
5. To help with asthma, breathing difficulties and allergies.
6. To improve spinal posture.
7. To improve their child’s ability to concentrate.
8. To assist with behavioral disorders and offer greater emotional wellbeing.
9. To help alleviate bed wetting and digestive problems.
10. To assist with sleep issues.
Quite commonly, the birthing process causes undue strain on the neck and shoulders and this might result in plagiocephaly (misshaped head) and/or torticollis. If left untreated this may have later implications on learning disabilities. With the right management this is often easily corrected.
Another example might be colic, or an irritable baby. Often colic is a benign condition -- there is no underlying pathology. However, it may be due to interference somewhere in the spine. The brain may be unable to "talk" to the part of the spinal cord that controls the gut and digestion.
Again, colic often responds quickly with chiropractic. By addressing the blockage in the spinal cord pathways the baby's discomfort is relieved.
So why bring a baby or child to a chiropractor? So that they might reach their full potential, to give them the best start in life to make sure their development is appropriate, and to dissipate any discomfort.
Dr. Dana has advanced training in pediatric and prenatal care. She is a member of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association. If you would like to consult with Dr. Dana Weissman Timmins, please feel free to call 516-809-9191 or visit her website www.bellmorechiropractic.com