King’s actual birthday is Tuesday, Jan. 15 – he would have been 84 this year – but the official holiday is always celebrated on the third Monday of January. This year, that falls on Jan. 21.
The day is marked as a federal holiday. All federal employees and offices are closed. Banks are closed, as well as the stock market. All New York State Department of Motor Vehicle offices are closed.
Like Bellmore Patch on Facebook by clicking here.
It is also a postal holiday, which means there is no regular mail delivery/pickup or retail services on Jan. 21.
Hempstead Town Hall and senior centers are also closed in observance of the holiday. The Homeowner Disposal Area in Merrick will be closed. Garbage will not be picked up on Monday. The sanitation pick up schedule for normal Monday pick up will be Tuesday and Thursday instead.
Nassau County buildings and offices will be closed as well.
The Long Island Rail Road will operate on a Holiday Schedule. There will be 37 extra eastbound and westbound trains, to and from Penn Station, added on various branches to accommodate holiday travelers. Off-peak fares will also be in effect all day.
After Bellmore Patch asked the community via Facebook what businesses are open or closed Monday, we received the following response:
- Workout with the Be Fabulous Foundation at 7 p.m. at the American Legion Hall, located at 2730 Legion St. in Bellmore.
- Cassidy's will be open all day, and wings will be half price for the Islanders' Game.
- Lincoln Station Bar & Grill will be open at 9 a.m. Monday. Click here for more details.
- The North Bellmore and Bellmore Memorial Libraries will be closed.
- The Bellmore, North Bellmore and Bellmore-Merrick Central High School Districts will be closed Monday.
MORE TOP NEWS